New York State DOH BEMS Instructor Courses
The New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services authorizes training for instructor certification through organizations called Specialty Course Sponsors. EMSTAR currently holds the Specialty Course Sponsorship designation and is authorized by the Department to conduct instructor programs including:
Certified Instructor Update (CIU)
Certified Lab Instructor (CLI)
Certified Instructor Coordinator (CIC)
Tuesday, June 8, 2021 6:00pm – 10:00pm (ZOOM)
Thursday, June 10, 2021 6:00pm – 10:00pm (ZOOM)
Tuesday, June 15, 2021 6:00pm – 10:00pm (In Person)
Thursday, June 17, 2021 6:00pm – 10:00pm (In Person)
Enrollment required by June 1, 2021 Pre-registration is mandatory. Walk-ins not permitted.
Course Sponsor & Location: EMSTAR
1058 W. Church Street
Elmira, NY 14905
Students must complete all four sessions plus a CLI internship and comply with all requirements of NYS DOH BEMSATS Policy 16-02 in order to be certified by NYS DOH as a CLI.
Submit the following to EMSTAR:
CLI Certification Requirements
The candidate must:
1. Completion of all prerequisite requirements as stated above.
2. Attend and successfully complete all modules of the NYS CLI course.
3. Serve as a CLI intern under the supervision of a NYS CIC preceptor in a BEMS approved certification course at the EMT level or higher. The internship must meet the objectives outlined in Bureau of EMS Policy Statement entitled "Internship Requirements for Instructor Certification".
4. Instruct the minimum lab sessions, as dictated on CLI Internship Tracking Form, DOH-4451.
5. Submit, as one single packet, all of the following items to the Bureau of EMS Central Office within 18 months of CLI course completion:
a) The completed and signed Application for Instructor Certification (DOH 2260).
b) The CLI Internship Completion Report (DOH-3378) completed by the supervising CIC preceptor.
c) The completed and signed CLI Internship Tracking Worksheet(DOH-4451)
d) At least one Lab Instruction Audit Report(DOH-2423) conducted by the supervising CIC preceptor.
e) At least one Lab Instruction Audit Report (DOH-2423) conducted by a CLI, CIC, Regional Faculty or BEMS staff. This audit must be from someone other than the supervising CIC preceptor.
Note: Audits must be completed by a currently certified NYS CLI/CIC.
Note: Individuals with whom the CLI candidate has a close personal relationship may not serve as the candidate's supervising CIC and/or auditor during the instructor internship. Clarifications regarding this exclusion must be directed to the Bureau of EMS Central Office, prior to the start of the instructor certification process.
6. Maintain NYS EMT or higher level of certification throughout the CLI certification process.
7. Successfully pass the NYS BEMS CLI written instructor examination. To register for an instructor exam, visit the NYS DOH website: www.health.ny.gov/professionals/ems/emsforms.htm and submit DOH-4245, the Registration for Emergency Medical Technician's Test Scheduling Request.
8. As an intern and/or practicing CLI, comply with:
a) All applicable state and federal laws and regulations including, but not limited to
NYS Public Health Law;
b) Chapter VI Title 10 Part 800 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules, and
c) Policies as issued by the Bureau of EMS.
d) Violations of 8a, 8b, or 8c of this section may result in denial of instructor certification, suspension or revocation of current instructor certification based upon a review by the Bureau of EMS.